“Mr Griffiths arrived to Riyadh on Sunday evening. He is scheduled to meet Yemeni government officials to discuss the frameworks of the peace talks,” an aide close to the envoy told.
Vast wealth and the promise of dramatic change make for cautious optimism concerning Saudi Arabia, the chief executive…234 Views | the publication reaches you by | Saudi Arabia Today
Last week, the UN official was in Houthi-held Sanaa before planned talks in December between the Iranian-backed rebels and pro-government forces. Mr Griffiths said he discussed with the rebels ways in which the UN could maintain peace in the port city of Hodeidah.
“We do not want a repetition of what happened in Geneva, that’s why we will announce the date closer to the time expected,” his aide said.
A UN-brokered attempt at peace talks in September collapsed after the rebels refused to travel to the Swiss city.
During his trip to Yemen, Mr Griffiths visited Hodeidah and proposed that the UN oversee the operation of the port – one of the key sticking points in his attempt to bring Yemen’s warring parties to the negotiating table in Sweden next month.
His trip to Riyadh came as the Arab Coalition announced it would issue 16 permits for humanitarian ships to enter the port of Hodeidah.
The humanitarian aid was provided by organisations such as Doctors Without Borders and the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Centre, coalition spokesman Turki Al Malki said on Monday.
Col Al Maliki said the rebels were blocking ships from entering the port, which was causing a “humanitarian catastrophe” in the city.
“Houthi militias are hindering humanitarian efforts in Yemen by establishing barricades and planting naval mines,” he said.
The Arab Coalition destroyed 36 naval mines planted by the rebels in violation of humanitarian and international law, he said.
“Houthis are also conducting operations from hospitals and mosques around the port,” Col Al Maliki said, adding that military operations in Hodeidah were continuing.
Clashes in the city between government forces and the rebels intensified in early November, but subsided after Mr Griffiths announced plans to launch new peace talks.
More than three years of conflict between the rebels and pro-government forces backed by the Saudi-led Arab coalition have left eight million Yemeni civilians severely affected by food shortages and plunged the country into economic crisis.
Do you have information you want to reach our readers?
A photographic tale of the aspirations of four women and their determination to achieve their goals, each one…