Tiger Woods rejected a record $3.3 million payout for appearance at new tournament in Saudi Arabia

      Published on Monday, 12 November , 2018      25 Views      Comments Add Comment
Tiger Woods rejected a record $3.3 million payout for appearance at new tournament in Saudi Arabia

  • Sport

After his dramatic return to the winner’s circle last season, Tiger Woods was offered his highest ever payout to compete in a tournament overseas.

And he said no.



According to the Telegraph’s James Corrigan, Woods snubbed a whopping £2.5 million ($3.3 million) payday to participate in the European Tour’s inaugural event in Saudi Arabia next year.

The lengthy trip to Saudi Arabia hardly seems like an obstacle that would stand in Woods’ way, especially given the astronomical payout, as he has previously competed in the United Arab Emirates and toured Asia “to help stoke local interest in the sport of golf and inspire athletes in China and Japan.”

Facilitators of the government-run tournament first approached Woods late in the summer, by which point they had already secured commitments from Dustin Johnson, Patrick Reed, and Paul Casey. Thomas Bjorn has since committed to participate as well. Given the fierce international outcry over last month’s death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi embassy in Istanbul, the tournament and many other sporting events affiliated with the Saudi Kingdom have come under fire.

The WWE faced intense scrutiny after deciding to proceed with its November 2 “Crown Jewel” show in Saudi Arabia despite acknowledging that “the company faced a very difficult decision [due to the] heinous crime committed at the Saudi consulate” the month prior.

Roger Federer, meanwhile, told  Simon Briggs at the Telegraph that he rejected a seven-figure deal to play a match in the country late next month.

“I prefer not to play,” Federer said. “I’m happy practicing. I’m happy doing other things, and I didn’t want to play there at that time. So, for me, it was a very quick decision.”

Fellow tennis greats Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic were both slated to compete at the event in Jeddah before it was called off due to the former’s ankle injury.

Prior to the event’s cancellation, however, both players expressed their intentions to reevaluate the situation as it approaches.



“It’s terrible that one journalist lost their life,” Nadal said. “I know something happened very bad inside there. So we are looking about how the situation evolves and I hope the things will clarify as soon as possible.”

Keywords:
Category Sport | 2018/11/12 latest update at 7:00 AM
Source : Business Insider | Photocredit : Google
26 Views
Comments Add comment



Related Articles

The editorial staff of Saudi Arabia Today would like to give all of its readers from Gulf and Saudi Arabia and the whole world the opportunity to participate actively in the development of the website! If you have something interesting, fun, scandalous - just something worth to be seen from more people. Capture it and share it in the Saudi Arabia Today with a short text.

Do you have information you want to reach our readers?

Send article/s

You can subscribe to our Facebook, Twitter and Google pages or use our RSS feed channel to always read the most important news about Saudi Arabia, the Gulf and the world.

Latest Comments


Ten major challenges that Saudi Arabia survived
Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabia news

Ten major challenges that Saudi Arabia survived

THE Kingdom of Saudi Arabia throughout its political history encountered many challenges and obstacles that could have limited…

Qatar May Be About to Annoy Saudi Arabia Even More

Saudi Crown Prince MBS Meets Modi In Argentina After Khashoggi

Saudi Crown Prince MBS Should Fear The Long Reach of Justice on Khashoggi

King Salman: Iran creates chaos devastation in the region Gulf TV, Saudi Arabia

King Salman: Iran creates chaos devastation in the region

SaudiArabia’s King Salman said that #Iran creates chaos and devastation in the region, interferes in surrounding countries’ internal…

Saudi Arabia King Salman meets president of Niger at Riyadh palace King

Saudi Arabia King Salman meets president of Niger at Riyadh palace

King Salman met the President of Niger, Mahamadou Issoufou, at his palace in Riyadh on Monday. The leaders held talks on boosting…

King Salman unveils $35.6 billion project for industrial city King

King Salman unveils $35.6 billion project for industrial city

Boosting the country’s mining infrastructure, Saudi Arabia has unveiled a SAR 86 billion ($35.6bn) project, Wa’ad Al Shamal,…

King Salman First Time Speaks About Jamal Khashoggi Gulf TV, Saudi Arabia

King Salman First Time Speaks About Jamal Khashoggi

King Salman First Time Speaks About Jamal Khashoggi

GULF TV

Popular in GULF TV

Turkey Seeks Arrest of Two Saudi Crown Prince MBS Allies Over Khashoggi

193 Views

Turkey Seeks Arrest of Two Saudi Crown Prince MBS Allies Over Khashoggi

Latest videos in GULF TV

Events

Lifestyle

Culture

Sport

Science & Technology

Government