Saudi Arabia on Friday announced a renewed lockdown in the city of Jeddah, gateway to the annual Muslim pilgrimage to Makkah, to counter a new spike in coronavirus cases.
Vast wealth and the promise of dramatic change make for cautious optimism concerning Saudi Arabia, the chief executive…1873 Views | the publication reaches you by | Saudi Arabia Today
“After reviewing the epidemiological situation and the high occupancy rates of intensive care departments, it was decided to take strict health precautions in the city of Jeddah for two weeks,” starting from Saturday, the health ministry said.
The measures include a curfew running from 3pm to 6am, a suspension of prayers in mosques and a stay-at-home order for public and private sector workers in the Red Sea city whose airport serves Makkah pilgrims.
After an easing of precautions in the kingdom in late May, the ministry said that strict measures could also soon return to Riyadh, which was “witnessing a continuous increase during the last days” of critical cases of the pandemic.
It has suspended the year-round “umrah” pilgrimage to Makkah and Medina over fears of the coronavirus pandemic spreading to Islam’s holiest cities.
Authorities are yet to announce whether they will proceed with this year’s hajj, scheduled for the end of July, but have urged Muslims to temporarily defer preparations for the annual pilgrimage.
Last year, some 2.5 million faithful travelled to Saudi Arabia from across the world to take part in the hajj, which all Muslims must perform at least once in their lives if able.
150 take part through Watani Al Emarat via the ‘Your City Needs You’ initiative Over 150 volunteers –…1627 Views | the publication reaches you by | Saudi Arabia Today
Do you have information you want to reach our readers?