Saudi Arabia’s minister of state for foreign affairs has said all options, including a military response, are open after attacks on two oil facilities, which it has blamed on Iran.
Vast wealth and the promise of dramatic change make for cautious optimism concerning Saudi Arabia, the chief executive…100 Views | the publication reaches you by | Saudi Arabia Today
A US assessment claiming Iran was behind the attacks was backed up by the UK, France and Germany this week.
Iran has denied any involvement.
But Saudi officials say the range, scale and complexity of the attacks exceeded the capabilities of the Houthis.
Speaking to the BBC Chief International Correspondent Lyse Doucet at the UN General Assembly in New York, Mr Jubeir said:
“Everybody’s trying to avoid war and everybody’s trying to avoid escalation. So we will look at all the options that are available to us. We will make a decision at the right time.”
He added: “Appeasement has not worked with Iran in the past, appeasement will not work with Iran in the future.”
The US re-imposed economic sanctions against Iran last year after abandoning a 2015 nuclear deal, and in May said it would attempt to force all countries to stop buying Iranian oil and put pressure on Iran to negotiate a new nuclear accord.
On Wednesday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters at the UN that the US wanted “a peaceful resolution with the Islamic Republic of Iran”.
“In the end, it’ll be up to the Iranians to make that decision, or whether they’ll choose violence and hate,” he added.
French President Emmanuel Macron had attempted to broker an historic meeting between Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and US President Donald Trump.
The project for the design, engineering and procurement of the new 400,000m3/day Jubail II seawater reverse osmosis (SWRO)…199 Views | the publication reaches you by | Saudi Arabia Today
Do you have information you want to reach our readers?