UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths returned to Riyadh Tuesday to meet with leaders of Yemen’s legitimate government in his “last chance” to save a ceasefire agreement reached in Sweden last December between the legitimate government and Iran-backed Houthi militias.
Vast wealth and the promise of dramatic change make for cautious optimism concerning Saudi Arabia, the chief executive…108 Views | the publication reaches you by | Saudi Arabia Today
They said the envoy was trying to exert pressure on the government to offer concessions related to the administration of Hodeidah and its ports, following the redeployment of forces there and the withdrawal of Houthis.
The sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that leaders from the government informed Griffiths that they have exhausted all efforts in offering continuous concessions for peace.
The government has accused the Houthis of hindering the implementation of the deal.
On Tuesday, Yemeni Vice President Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar and Foreign Minister Khaled Alyemany met Griffiths to discuss ongoing efforts to establish peace in the country, Yemen’s Saba news agency reported.
Al-Ahmar cited the Houthis’ continuous delays and reluctance regarding the Hodeidah withdrawal, while also condemning the international community’s silence over their violations of the deal.
He reiterated the government’s insistence on the importance of implementing the Hodeidah agreement in full and the Houthi withdrawal from the city and seaports and handing them over to local authorities.
Such measures are key to moving forward towards any new round of consultations.
The vice president also noted that the Houthis have refused to pull out from the seaports under the agreed redeployment plan in Hodeidah, which was supposed to be carried out last month.
The project for the design, engineering and procurement of the new 400,000m3/day Jubail II seawater reverse osmosis (SWRO)…207 Views | the publication reaches you by | Saudi Arabia Today
Do you have information you want to reach our readers?